Logo

1988 Force 85hp - runs great accept the shifting - From "N" it dies

HiZ

The engine runs great but will die when shifting from Neutral

Each time that the boat is shifted it will die off like hitting the key, idle is good, it runs across the power band fine
Carbs are clean, fresh fuel, primer bulb and fuel system is good
I am curious to know what is going on with this thing?
Trying to figure out the details on it but am at a loss

Is there a cut out switch and adjustment

:cool:
The engine runs great but will die when shifting from Neutral

Each time that the boat is shifted it will die off like hitting the key, idle is good, it runs across the power band fine
Carbs are clean, fresh fuel, primer bulb and fuel system is good
I am curious to know what is going on with this thing?
Trying to figure out the details on it but am at a loss

Is there a cut out switch and adjustment
So far, from your description,i would first check your control box cabling system,inside the box make sure the screws are tight on the cables,if they are ,check on your power head cable to make sure that it,s adjusted properly on the throttle ,cause too much slack ,it will not move your throttle forward on the cam and not coming off your cutout switch,causing it to die,the cable of your shift and throttle must be synchronized to operate well,let me know if it works,if not we'll troubleshoot more. Remember,keep it simple,it's always the silly things that get overlooked even by the best mechanics. RoberEvin55 Looking at both sides of the coin!

Not comming off the neutral switch has nothing to do with it stalling.That switch's only job is to not let it start in gear. What are the rpms in N? Should be about 1100-1200? 800 in gear. Do a compression test,jff.

So, this was a simple adjustment as stated and the real deal was that the fuel lines had shrunk
Replacement of lines, and simple idle and cable lube adjust and check made it work great.
Now who wants to buy this thing?

Back