Logo

1988 evinrude120 help

Hi,
i went over my motor earlier. Took it in the shop to adjust timing. Dealer sadi carbs are blocked from ethanol problems. Fixed the carbs and took the boat out ran great. Since than the motor seems low on power,before would plane at half throttle.Runs at full throttle but slowIdles rough sometimes and cuts out. Checked new sparks by the way ql78yc. One side was good,tanish the other sort of rich, black. checked wireds and were good.
If it sounds like you have come accross this let me know
Thanks loads

Check compression.

Maybe one of the orfices in the carb is clogged from dirt that came out of the fuel line (sticked on the inside of the fuelhose).

Didn't the dealer made a mistake? Better to bring back the boat to the dealer to recheck.

Check compression.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I did a temp.check. the side that has the kick down runs at 150 the other side that fowls plugs runs at about 100 .Both sides have new thermostats from omc.Could this cause my plugs to fowl.Motors seems to idle ok .Did replace all fuel lines from filler neck to the carbs.if there is problem with tank filter should stop dirt.Maybe one of the orfices in the carb is clogged from dirt that came out of the fuel line (sticked on the inside of the fuelhose).

Didn't the dealer made a mistake? Better to bring back the boat to the dealer to recheck.
Hi thanks for the reply,did a temp check the side the fowls is running at 100 the kickdown side runs at 150 couldthis cause my plugs to fowl.New thermostats on both sides.
thanks,john

Are the plug wires crossed by any chance ?------Try changing them on the cold side to see what happens !-------------Always run fuel out of the carburetors when done boating, it helps keep carburetors clean.

Hi,
Contacted dealer and was told it probably is the problem with running too cold .I am going to install temperature sensors and gauges on both sides of engine to keep this from happening again.Ill install a new thermostat tomorrow and see what happens.The one thermostat that failed was a white one ,heard the black ones are more reliable.
Thanks again

Hi,
Contacted dealer and was told it probably is the problem with running too cold .I am going to install temperature sensors and gauges on both sides of engine to keep this from happening again.Ill install a new thermostat tomorrow and see what happens.The one thermostat that failed was a white one ,heard the black ones are more reliable.
Thanks again​

Nothing to do with the temperature or a thermostat. Your compression is a big problem, as the maximim difference between the strongest cylinder and the weakest cylinder may be maximum 15 PSI!

Remove the weak cylinderhead, check for scoring piston/cylinder, check also the head gasket.

Back