Logo

1987 Evinrude 9.9hp

I don't want you chasing rabbits here, but I had done all the same things you've already done and it never solved the cooling problem. It finally took removing the powerhead, replacing the grommet, and cleaning/blowing out every single cooling passage I could reach. Once I had done the complete top to bottom reaming the cooling worked fine and I haven't had a problem since.

KJ

I don't want you chasing rabbits here, but I had done all the same things you've already done and it never solved the cooling problem. It finally took removing the powerhead, replacing the grommet, and cleaning/blowing out every single cooling passage I could reach. Once I had done the complete top to bottom reaming the cooling worked fine and I haven't had a problem since.

KJ

And I am grateful to you (and others) for sharing your experience... big savings for me in time troubleshooting and frustration! :)

Well, this project got placed on the back burner for a while, but I tried removing the power head yesterday, disconnected all commands, removed mounting bolts (broke one), and the block is not moving an iota from the base..... pulled it as hard as I could, hammered the sides and under the flywheel with a rubber mallet, no go. Any tip available on how to get it loose from the mid section?...

So.... where is the "back" of the block were you stick the prybar? In order to "pry", you have to use a leverage point, where is it? (sorry it's not clear to me)

With the cylinder head off it is easy to find a solid place to use to get the leverage.-----Look and look again before you break something !

The power head is off.
Now the cylinder head won't come off..... I did break one of the 6 bolts, that wouldn't get lose, but the head part is not threaded, so it should come off over the broken bolt no?
Or do I have to drill it out? Thanks for any tip again.

Corrosion jams that up.----If you can turn the cylinder head you may be able to separate the head.----Then punch the bolt from the head.

Corrosion jams that up.
You ain't kiddin'... as it turns out, too much corrosion on this motor.

I managed to get the head off over the broken bolt. Took a lot of hammering (using a wood block against the side of the head on the broken bolt side), but more corrosion issues were awaiting with the exhaust tube removal: 2 of the 4 bolts would not loosen and broke right off, which leaves me with a total of 4 broken bolts, stuck solid in the block (1 from the head, 1 from the base, and 2 from the exhaust shaft).

Another piece of bad news (I think): There is quite a bit of play at the top piston rod. Vertical, and lateral.
Shouldn't be any right? I can actually hear a "cluncky" sound when I turn the flywheel" back and forth.

So, I guess I'll have to write this one off and salvage and/or sale as many parts as I can, and call it a day.
Oh well.... can't always win! :(

By the way: kevinj was correct: The water grommet at the top of the tube was clogged solid.
Looks like this motor spent his life in salt water, without ever getting flushed after use.

Well bummer. Sounds like this motor isn’t worth the effort. Pull off all the salvageable parts and scrap the rest.

KJ

Back