Logo

1987 bayliner OMC Stern Drive 2.3 L 232AMFTC

cds11

Contributing Member
hi, i recently traded for a 1987 bayliner with a 2.3 ford motor and omc cobra stern drive. we took it out on the water today and everything seemed fine as it planed out good while pulling a tube. then after a little while it seemed to be slowing down and it wouldnt plane out and was only going 20 mph. then i noticed a smell coming from the rear of the boat, it kinda smelled like something was a little hot but the engine temp was at 175 so i dont think it was it. then it died, would not turn over. the starter tried to turn it over but it wouldnt. it acted like it was stuck in gear or motor locked up? i have been home for a few hours since it happened and i just went out and tried it a few times and same thing then it finally turned it completely over and it started. seems to run fine now. when it wouldnt turn over it would turn the steering wheel to the left when i would try to start it? if i had to gues i would say something in the transmission was locked up or the cylinders were full of water? any help or ideas or any similiar past experiences would be greatly apprecieated. thanks

Last edited:
hi, i recently traded for a 1987 bayliner with a 2.3 ford motor and omc cobra stern drive. we took it out on the water today and everything seemed fine as it planed out good while pulling a tube. then after a little while it seemed to be slowing down and it wouldnt plane out and was only going 20 mph. then i noticed a smell coming from the rear of the boat, it kinda smelled like something was a little hot but the engine temp was at 175 so i dont think it was it. then it died, would not turn over. the starter tried to turn it over but it wouldnt. it acted like it was stuck in gear or motor locked up? i have been home for a few hours since it happened and i just went out and tried it a few times and same thing then it finally turned it completely over and it started. seems to run fine now. when it wouldnt turn over it would turn the steering wheel to the left when i would try to start it? if i had to gues i would say something in the transmission was locked up or the cylinders were full of water? any help or ideas or any similiar past experiences would be greatly apprecieated. thanks

Ayuh,... Why didn't you pull the spark plugs, 'n Check for water in the cylinders,..??

Then you'd have a direction to move in....

well i did some checking and found water in the upper and lower gear box. along with the water i found the upper pinion bearing destroyed. pinion gears look fine. i got complete upper and lower seal kits ordered along with a new bearing. how long does it take marineengine.com to get parts shipped?

Back