Logo

1987 arrowglass carisma 190 help

havent bought boat yet but but have it and looking it over . been sitting out uncovered. the interior seats and carpet r thrashed . carb was removed and rebuikt just got to reinstall and try to start . i figure ill drain gas and oil then add batteryband see what i got. i cant find any real info on this boat online like manuals or even picture of what it shld look like. lady wants 1500.00. hull looks good so if engine is good does this seem ok? any i fo wld b great and thanks in adavnce for yalls help :cool: image-7.jpegimage-5.jpegimage-6.jpg

Walk..........RUN away............it will never work........by the time your done you will be done with boating..........

Purchase a boat that can be water tested and requires little or no work..........If you do this you will enjoy boating for years not minutes.

well its my motherinlaws and it ran fine till she hit a rock. someone replaced lower unit on it and then it sat cause her husband died . interior was bad when she got it but is toast now. but if it runs good still think its bad idea?

well its my motherinlaws and it ran fine till she hit a rock. someone replaced lower unit on it and then it sat cause her husband died . interior was bad when she got it but is toast now. but if it runs good still think its bad idea?

Ayuh,.... Yer lookin' at 'bout 3 Grand in repairs, plus the 1500, 'n the outdrive Still needs to be Replaced, as that 1 is geared Way Wrong...

If ya wanta go Boatin',... Buy 1 that Runs....

If ya wanta be a boat rebuilder, that 1 oughta keep ya busy for a long time to come...

Ayuh,.... Yer lookin' at 'bout 3 Grand in repairs, plus the 1500, 'n the outdrive Still needs to be Replaced, as that 1 is geared Way Wrong...

If ya wanta go Boatin',... Buy 1 that Runs....

If ya wanta be a boat rebuilder, that 1 oughta keep ya busy for a long time to come...

I don't know what u mean about the gears . That lower unit was replaced after a wreck as u read probably . U saying the used wrong one ? What does that mean for the function for the boat . This is my best shot at a boat like this . We can do all interior work ourselves and I can fix anything if I can get a hold of a manual or something .man I'm felling pretty bad as of now .

The outdrive sticker says "120" that ratio is 1.98-1. the V6 motors like 1.82(1.86) -1
lowers are mostly interchangable ,uppers have the gear ratio.A 1.98 ratio will over-rev that motor.

The outdrive sticker says "120" that ratio is 1.98-1. the V6 motors like 1.82(1.86) -1
lowers are mostly interchangable ,uppers have the gear ratio.A 1.98 ratio will over-rev that motor.
Well that doesn't sound good . Does that mean all new lower u it or can change the gear ratio . Even if I don't buy it then I need to help my mother inlaw get rid of it . Is the 1.98 that far from 1.82 ?
Really stuck now on what I shld do

Considering it is costing you nothing (???) as it should NOT cost anything.

If you have the time and patients to rebiuld the boat the go for it.

Fact 1. the lower half of the outdrive (lower unit) is interchangable and has no affect on gear ratio.
Fact 2. your Upper half (upper gear housing) clearly shows 120, 120 means 4 cyclinder motor. as stated the upper gear case gear ratio for a 4 cylinder motor is different from a upper gear case for a V6.

IF you do not have to purchase this boat (as no one should ) then I would say spend all the money and time you want to restoring it.
When you get to the out drive you can run the boat as is, just be prepaired to controll rpms and not go over 4800 rpms.

If you can go past that 4800 the change proppeller pitch and see if you can keep it at 4800 MAX rpms....

The key here is,

No matter what the story behind the boat, it is all of what you are willing to do and SPEND to get it back to operational.

Looks like a very expensive project..........I would sell the motor and transom assembly. and the outdrive (seperately) on craigslist and make money vs spend. take the profit and buy one that runs allready, the difference in price will most likley be less then the cost to fix this one and you will be boating in a clean running boat.

JMHO

Considering it is costing you nothing (???) as it should NOT cost anything.

If you have the time and patients to rebiuld the boat the go for it.

Fact 1. the lower half of the outdrive (lower unit) is interchangable and has no affect on gear ratio.
Fact 2. your Upper half (upper gear housing) clearly shows 120, 120 means 4 cyclinder motor. as stated the upper gear case gear ratio for a 4 cylinder motor is different from a upper gear case for a V6.

IF you do not have to purchase this boat (as no one should ) then I would say spend all the money and time you want to restoring it.
When you get to the out drive you can run the boat as is, just be prepaired to controll rpms and not go over 4800 rpms.

If you can go past that 4800 the change proppeller pitch and see if you can keep it at 4800 MAX rpms....

The key here is,

No matter what the story behind the boat, it is all of what you are willing to do and SPEND to get it back to operational.

Looks like a very expensive project..........I would sell the motor and transom assembly. and the outdrive (seperately) on craigslist and make money vs spend. take the profit and buy one that runs allready, the difference in price will most likley be less then the cost to fix this one and you will be boating in a clean running boat.

JMHO

Thanks for ur help. I think putting carb back on and a battery the engine will run fine . So other than wrong gear and bad interior. It shld b good. With Motor being good. Shld it not b worth something ? Is changing that gear expensive ?

guys ,got boat running yesterday but noticed water comung from side of engine was a 1 1/2 hole there looks like where a freeze plug goes, i plugged hole then engine . it got hot made me wonder if tstat was stuck but before i got to that saw another leak . left sude maybe exhaust but not sure. two questions . was that a freeze plug? and that crack leaking water in exhaust , can u weld that ?

Attachments

• image-10.jpg
    image-10.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 56
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 90
  • photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 56
freeze plugs (core plugs) (casting plugs) what ever they are called, do not typicaly pop out for no reason.

The fact that the manifolds are cracked says it was not winterized. If this is so, then the motor is cracked in the lifter valley and maybe other locations also.

NO I am not kidding.......a cracked motor will run like champ and run to 8000 rpms for a long time WITH NO WATER going to it.

Ask me how I know this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once craked there is no salvaging it so I always say let it BLOW!

I suggest to end the discussion and move on......

Is it possible just exhaust mani that's cracked and not engine block or whatever . If so still seems worth fixing . But I guess if something was cracked also on inside wld explain the over heating ....

You do what u want to do... There could be several reasons for over heat.
The pictures alone explain most of the issues. Dont even have to be there.

Cracked block would be apparent by water in the oil....but water has to reach the engine
first.

Yes the exhaust manifolds could be the only thing wrong.... Cant tell from here.

As far as my participation on this topic. I am out. I would not touch that project.
Pure money pit.

i really do appreaciate ur help. most local mechanics today have said the same as . more than likely also cracked inside motor, i dont know enough to say and i really wanted this boat to work for all of us is reason for my constant questions . also ahrd to unspderstand how it cracks in multiple spots like that . just figured it wld find a weak point and crack like the exhaust only but like u said and other mechanics more than likely also cracked inside. so im giving up and guess we junk the boat and well all lose. thanks again for all yalls advise ! great site !

If outdrive is good it is worth about $750 -$900
Transom assembly and misc parts could get another $500

It is not a total loss........

Back