Logo

1987 90etlh buzzer

90hpwhaler

"Overheat buzzer going after r

"Overheat buzzer going after running below 900rpm for a minute or so. Water is coming out. Problem does not exist above 900rpm.. I'm assuming because water is forcing its way through the system. Local shop thinks it may be thermostat problem; I was thinking pump. What do you all think? Also, I notice there is a pressure control valve around the thermostat... could that be the culprit??

PS, this boat has been run in the upper Potomac it's whole life, very low salt content."

"22 years! I was hoping to na

"22 years! I was hoping to narrow it down to one or the other... If the thermostat is not letting enough water in at lower RPM's, would it make sense that it does at higher RPM's?? Also, the motor is "peeing" even at that low rpm... if the thermostat is not open enough to keep cool, would it pee at all or is there a by-pass? Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance for your responses."

"I understand your thinking on

"I understand your thinking on this but I would replace the entire water pump and the thermostat and consider myself really lucky to get 22 years of service without major failure. most folks change these pumps every 2 or 3 years depending on service. Rest assured, after 22 years, it's definitely time! Good Luck!"

I just went ahead and got a pu

I just went ahead and got a pump rebuild kit and a tstat. $100 bucks and a few hours of my time. I'll let you know how it turns out when it finally stops raining and I get a day to put the boat in the water.

"hope that works for you. I ex

"hope that works for you. I expect that impeller has to be ready for a new one. same for the thermostat. You've really had some good service from that motor...won't hurt to do a bit of maintenance. got a fuel/water seperator? Walmart $25, easy to install...Good luck!"

Back