Logo

1987 75hp Mariner No Spark

POS ponton

I have a 87 75hp mariner that i got with a pontoon when i got it there where mice living in the engine compartment and starter was bad i replaced the starter the engine truns over nicely but i have no spark i replaces the ingition key switch and the switch box still no spark now i just pulled the flywheel and the stator looks to be in good shape but there are 4 yellow wire coming out of the stator and two of them are cut off right where they come out and the triger is the origial dated may 14 1987 any ideas on what to do next before i throw more money at this . New trigger or coils would be my next guess anybody have any ideas?

Heres what you do. Pull out the cannon plug and crank the motor with the remote start. If the spark comes on than the control box wiring is still messed up. Next, fine the black/yellow wire lead "bullet plug" on the switch box and unplug it. If the spark comes on than the wiring in the motor has shorted out in the motor harness. Or, look for the tilt (kill) switch in the bottom left corner of the electrical plate. Check that too.
The next place to look is the stator itself. This is/was a common problem back than. The stator should have a blue and red charge coil leads to the switch box. If you do not have the special DVA adapter to do the stator volts test, than just check the ohms for anything fishy.
The two yellow wires went to the alternator rectifier to charge the batteries. So they will go dead with that cut out.

I've seen those two yellow wires cut off before, so it's apparently done by the factory for some reason. My Merc 700 has the same thing.

Pull the remote controls plug and spin the motor over with jumper cables. Do NOT cross connect them or you'll fry the spark box! If you see spark, then look for a ground somewhere that's killing the motor.

Jeff

Back