Logo

1987 28 SPL shift linkage question

JasRam

Contributing Member
Hello All,
I just replaced my water pump and I am having trouble with my linkage. I put the motor in reverse to change the pump, as the manual states to do. I replaced the pump and then put put the whole assembly back in. I made sure the shift linkage was still inreverse(all the way down) when I put it back in. I I hooked the linkage back up and it seems to shift fine but when I put it in reverse, the rod that should usually go straight up and down now bows out away from the viewing hole when in reverse. Not sure if this is normal? I turn the propeller and I hear a quick clink and the prop sort of jumps and then the rod is back to it's usual spot. The rod also also doesn't seem to move much from neutral to forward.

Any ideas on what I might have done?

What happens when you spin the prop while shifting ??----Oh----You have to spin the prop while shifting that motor !!

What happens when you spin the prop while shifting ??----Oh----You have to spin the prop while shifting that motor !!
Thanks for the response. I'm going to take another look in the morning. I have to spin the prop while shifting the motor? Could that be the reason for the clinking noise when I spin it without shifting?

Last edited:
On this website there is the opportunity to see what gears and clutch dogs look like.-----Perhaps that will explain why something needs too be TURNING when you shift an outboard.

Back