Logo

1986 Merc 50 hp 2 stroke wants to stall when in pushed into gear

rcortesim

I have an '86 Mercury 50 hp 2 stroke, which had been sitting up for about 15 yrs. I recently had a major tune-up, which involved the following:

100 hour service/Tune-up/Impeller maintenance
Removed Auto-blend (doing 50:1 pre-mix now)
Fuel pump diaphragm kit
Carbs removed and cleaned
New Fuel line
Flushed fuel tank
Water pump kit
Repaired wiring from the switch box
Spark plugs

With all of that done, I'm having problems with the engine stalling out when I put it in gear. It's not stranded me yet, but it makes it very difficult to maneuver around a busy launch dock.

It cold starts fine, idles fine (about 1100 rpm) and gets on plane just fine. It will do about 30 mph @ 5500 rpm, no problem.

However, if I've been fishing in a cove for a bit, then start it up to move to another location, it will stall when I push it into gear. Once this stall happens, it doesn't want to start up again, smells like I flooded it and requires that I let it sit for a few minutes before trying again.

I've been able to workaround this by pushing the throttle up very quickly to get going, then pull it back to a slower speed (5 mph speed limit in the coves and of course around the dock).

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like the idle mixture is off. I suggest readjusting in gear, warm uup, boat on the trailer or tied to a pier. And when you find you best idle, add 1/4 turn OUT.

Jeff

Sounds like the idle mixture is off. I suggest readjusting in gear, warm uup, boat on the trailer or tied to a pier. And when you find you best idle, add 1/4 turn OUT.

Jeff

Thanks for your response, Jeff. Since the big maintenance job was done a few months ago, I guess it's possible that there was some debris left behind and the jets got clogged again, but the mechanic said he flushed the tank.

I've returned the boat to him for a warranty adjustment twice since then, but he hasn't been able to get it fixed. I've even tried another mechanic, who told me he tried to adjust the carbs, but couldn't fix it. However, I don't know whether either of them put the boat in water to adjust the mixture, or just used muffs. That would be a big difference, from what I've read on forums.

Both mechanics have told me the compression is good on all cylinders (thought they didn't give me numbers), but I've read so much about bad reed valves, that I'm wondering if compression is the only test for that. I saw one video where the mechanic put his hand in front of the carb's throat and saw air and fuel mist being pushed out. He said that was a sign of a bad reed valve. Any ideas in this direction?

The reed valves have nothing to do with compression in the cylinders.------You could take them out.-----Throw them on the floor.-----Compression test in cylinders will still be the same as before you took them out !!

Back