Hello All,
First post so I apologize if I forget to mention a necessary item.
I recently Purchased a 1988 Bass Tracker with the aforementioned outboard and have had it on the water only 6 times. The Previous owner took EXTREME care of the thing, and i mean VERY GOOD care, he was an older retired VET who couldnt manage it anymore so I know it was cared for and garage kept, he had records, provided me with oils, lubes etc that he had left over if that tells you anything, he also provided me with the service manual for motor.....
So here is what happened, on my third trip out I literally was on my way back to dock to go home and ran out of gas.... Used the Trolling motor to get it the last 1/4 mile there.
Next Trip out I filled it up, and for some reason I closed the vent tight on the gas tank, I saw it, was not sure what it was and closed it up..... Launched the boat got it started from cold start with a little choke and had no issues, was headed to a camping site a short distance away and it was close to dark so I didnt go far and didnt open it up TOO MUCH.....
The next morning when We were out and about I attempted to open it up finally and it would just die, started fine.... I would put it in gear, throttle up a bit and it dies again, rinse wash and repeat..... I was able to get it throttled up just enough to get around.... Barely past no wake speed... anything more and it would die.... I checked the bulb numerous times and it seemed to have pressure. Then Later I remember that I had closed the vent on the gas tank so I opened it back up.... even after an 8 hr break and with the vent opened same issue, would die when throttled up..... I should also mentioned that in neutral if I choked up a bit it didnt seem to have any problems.
Got it home and checked the plugs and all 3 appeared very sooty and black all around, per the manual this is due to lack of heat?? So I replaced the plugs hooked up the muffs and started it in the drive, INSTANTLY started better than ever, sounded better and when throttled up did not die... So I figured what the hell problem solved.... WRONG....
Took it out 2 days later, launched boat went to open it up and I had better throttle than previously but I could almost instantly feel it losing power, within 5 min it was back to the initial condition, anything more than wake speed kills the engine....
Is it possible I caused a vacuum with Vent Closed on the Gas Tank? and does it take THAT LONG to recover?? Did Running it that low on Gas have an effect? It would seem to be a fuel issue but outside of the Vent Problem I am not sure where else too look besides the Spark Plugs..... Should I remove and clean the carbs?? Is this an issue with Flooding or LACK of fuel? Obviously replacing the plugs had an effect for the better albeit a very short fix.....
I am in Arizona and able to boat year round, winterizing is not much of a need here.
The batteries are also BRAND NEW less than 6 months old.....
Please Help!! I am coming into Prime FlatHead Season here!! Need My Boat!!
First post so I apologize if I forget to mention a necessary item.
I recently Purchased a 1988 Bass Tracker with the aforementioned outboard and have had it on the water only 6 times. The Previous owner took EXTREME care of the thing, and i mean VERY GOOD care, he was an older retired VET who couldnt manage it anymore so I know it was cared for and garage kept, he had records, provided me with oils, lubes etc that he had left over if that tells you anything, he also provided me with the service manual for motor.....
So here is what happened, on my third trip out I literally was on my way back to dock to go home and ran out of gas.... Used the Trolling motor to get it the last 1/4 mile there.
Next Trip out I filled it up, and for some reason I closed the vent tight on the gas tank, I saw it, was not sure what it was and closed it up..... Launched the boat got it started from cold start with a little choke and had no issues, was headed to a camping site a short distance away and it was close to dark so I didnt go far and didnt open it up TOO MUCH.....
The next morning when We were out and about I attempted to open it up finally and it would just die, started fine.... I would put it in gear, throttle up a bit and it dies again, rinse wash and repeat..... I was able to get it throttled up just enough to get around.... Barely past no wake speed... anything more and it would die.... I checked the bulb numerous times and it seemed to have pressure. Then Later I remember that I had closed the vent on the gas tank so I opened it back up.... even after an 8 hr break and with the vent opened same issue, would die when throttled up..... I should also mentioned that in neutral if I choked up a bit it didnt seem to have any problems.
Got it home and checked the plugs and all 3 appeared very sooty and black all around, per the manual this is due to lack of heat?? So I replaced the plugs hooked up the muffs and started it in the drive, INSTANTLY started better than ever, sounded better and when throttled up did not die... So I figured what the hell problem solved.... WRONG....
Took it out 2 days later, launched boat went to open it up and I had better throttle than previously but I could almost instantly feel it losing power, within 5 min it was back to the initial condition, anything more than wake speed kills the engine....
Is it possible I caused a vacuum with Vent Closed on the Gas Tank? and does it take THAT LONG to recover?? Did Running it that low on Gas have an effect? It would seem to be a fuel issue but outside of the Vent Problem I am not sure where else too look besides the Spark Plugs..... Should I remove and clean the carbs?? Is this an issue with Flooding or LACK of fuel? Obviously replacing the plugs had an effect for the better albeit a very short fix.....
I am in Arizona and able to boat year round, winterizing is not much of a need here.
The batteries are also BRAND NEW less than 6 months old.....
Please Help!! I am coming into Prime FlatHead Season here!! Need My Boat!!

