Logo

1986 force 50 battery is not charging

dkonrai

Regular Contributor
"help!!
the battery was only

"help!!
the battery was only 12 volts when i tested the motor running, started out at 13 volts, then it dropped. when i disconnect the battery the engine dies.
i see the purple wire is for the generator (?) and the only wires connected to the battery, are the main + - to motor and black and red to the switch. i bought the boat used, and it looks like the harness goes to the switch. so where does the battery charge? why does the motor die when i disconnect the battery?
i know i should get a manual, but cant locate a oem. seems like the only ones around are the clymer
"

"Your engine does not have a g

"Your engine does not have a generator! It has an AC alternator under the flywheel which makes AC voltage and then turns it into DC through a Diode mounted to the port side of the engine. Diode has 4 wires. Two come from the alternator with AC voltage, ( should be green and yellow). 3rd wire should be red for battery positive which charges the battery and the forth is black or ground. If you have a purple wire, it goes under the dashboard to a terminal strip for a tachometer. Test the diode for open or shorted circuit. That is normally the reason for the unit not to charge. If the diode is good, then the problem may be with wiring or alternator. Buy a Seloc manual #1100 for Force engines. Get it from this wed site:"

"if the box is fried, will it

"if the box is fried, will it still fire up? motor still runs pretty good. but thanks for the heads up. i think i may have lucked out"

Back