Logo

1986 Evinrude 6 HP yachtwin questions

lucky_bum

Just bought this motor on Crai

Just bought this motor on Craig's List. Of course no owners manuel. I mixed up a 50 to 1 - 2 cyle oil just to try it out. Not sure if this is right for the engine as it seems to smoke a bit. So what is the correct mix? The fresh water pump id putting out a real good pee stream but the exhaust just spits drops of water even after running in my garbage can 20 min or longer. Also is it normal to have smoke coming from under the motor cover too? Thinking I may have an exhaust leak under there somewhere. Tommorrow I will put it on the sailboat and try in the marina.

Thanks in advance for any input. Chuck.

"50:1 as Joe says but using a

"50:1 as Joe says but using a 2T outboard oil to TCW-3 spec. (and thats 50:1 even if you find a decal or manual saying 100:1)
You only get a few spits of water out of the exhaust relief on the leg, most leaves from the main exhaust outlets so you won't see it.

Mine (1984) smokes when run in a can but more or less clears when run properly on the boat.

There should not be exhaust gases escaping under the cover, it wont run on exhaust gas it needs air but you might find that while running stationary it is just pulling gases in via the air intake.

Plugs are now recommended to be QL77JC4 gapped at 0.030"."

Back