Logo

1986 bayliner volvo2.1 penta270 outdrive carb settings

mxdad

Still waiting for any carb setting info.also fuel tank size on thjs 1986 bayliner capri 15.5 foot with a volvo 2.1 and a 270 penta outdrive

Re: 1986bayliner volvo2.1 penta270 outdrive carb settings

if you have the bigger air mix screw with the visiable sping turn it all the way in and then turn it back out 1 full turn then with the engine running you can adjust it from there where your engine runs best at, you'll be able to tell. it should'nt need to be any more than 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns out at the most. if you have the smaller mixing screw with no visiable spring on it turn it all the way in and turn it out 8 turns, yeah i know it sounds retarded, but i have had both of these carbs before and been through the same issue.the factory setting for both is just a place to start at and then you may have to tweek it a small bit depending on how your engine runs. as far as the fuel tank i could'nt find anything on it, but if you can visiably get to the tank there should be a tag or sticker most likely on the top of it that will tell how many gallons it is, just the size of the boat and the engine size, i would assume its somewhere between 20 and 30 gallons?

Hi and thank you very much for the hell.one last question?.when you are in the boat looking at the carb near the top of the right hand side of the rear of the carb is this weird looking adjuster that's not a screw type what does this do and where should it be set.are these volvo 2.1 motors and 270 penta outdrive good?

Wow just looked at my last post and that should have read thank you for the help not hell.sorry i mis typed which is common for my clumsy. Fingers

11211733.jpg
i've been running a bb140 now for about 2 years and had no major problems out of it, it's a 1978 and still running strong so that should tell you about the longevity of them.if you do end up having to do a rebuild on them they're a very easy motor to work on and used blocks for them are a dime a dozen in most scrap yards.only down side is they're not the most powerful motor out there the mercruiser 4cyl. will out run you, but they are dependable.as far as the adjuster i'll assume your talking about the accelerator pump? a small rod which goes from the throttle assembly and on the other end goes through a small arm which moves in and out and a long spring on this rod?you can see from the pic where mine is adjusted at, theres no set number of turns for it you just need to make sure when you throttle up that it is pumping a good squirt of fuel into your carb through the tube on top of your carb. your engine needs that shot of fuel to run properly if its not shooting out enough fuel turn the nut on it counter clockewise. the more you loosen it the more of a shot of fuel you get.if its turned all the way out also and still not getting much fuel there is a diaphram and spring behind the plate with the 4 flathead screws that the has the little arm that the rod goes through. it is'nt that uncommon for them to fail, it is a wear part that you will have to replace from time to time.just thinking after i wrote this, are you running the side draft carb or the down draft one?

Last edited:

Hi......hey i can't thank you enough this site has been awsome with people like you that take the time to help other people thank you and i hope ill be able to hell someone as well and yes the pic is exactly what i was talking about.

Back