Logo

1986 8hp Johnson sailmaster compresssion good, spark, won't start

velzynh

New member
Hi.
I have 1986 Johnson sailmaster 8hp. The engine is new to me. I rebuilt the water pump, fuel pump and carb. I had it running for 30 seconds and then it died. Now it will not start. I didn't have spark, so I pulled the coils and reinstalled. Also, checked the stop switch was working fine. Compression is 125psi in both cyl. Now I have spark, but doesn't start. Doesn't even cough, even on starter fluid. Is it possible the spark is too weak? Help!
Ryan
 
Also, it will have a loud spit every once in a while when pulling starter cord. Doesn't sound like a usual trying to start, just a loud spit and nothing else. I may rebuilt the fuel pump wrong, but surprised it won't go a bit on starter fluid.
 
Wow, no, they were reversed. Starts and sputters now. Thanks! I should have asked on here a LOT sooner! So...now to the next problem. It starts for a second or two then dies. I tried pulling the fuel line from the pump to carb and it spurts fuel in pulses. Any ideas from here? I rebuilt both carb and pump (I thought correctly). Any ideas?
 
Back
Top