Logo

1986 150 Johnson over rev at high R.P.M.

mahan1957

Was wandering if anyone else has expeirenced this. The motor seems to want to over rev after 3000 R.P.M. like the prop is losing it's grab. This started after I hit rocks at a ramp on the prop. Is there a bushing that would slip in the lower unit? I,ve looked at the part diagram and not sure. Have fixed the prop and still doing it?

Propellers have a rubber hub / slipclutch , any prop shop can check that for you or you could borrow a prop to try.

I purchased another prop for a spare when I put the other one in the shop for repair and the purchased one is doing the same thing, are you talking about the rubber inside the prop itself?

Rubber hub inside the prop , they often let go at full load.-----------------Nothing in the lower unit is designed to slip.------Has lower unit been off for work ? -Shift rod height confirmed correct ?

Yea I couldn't see in the diagram of parts where something would slip, just seemed odd that the used one was slipping in the same manner as the one that I hit on the rocks. I'll have him check both....Thanks

Back