Logo

1985 Mercury 18 hp no spark

winrace12

"Hi.
Ive just bought a 1985 m

"Hi.
Ive just bought a 1985 mercury 18 hp, but there`s no spark. Ive tried to take of the flywheel, but i cant get it off(even with right tools), as the motor hasnt been runned for at least 10 years. Is there a special way to take it off? And is it a commond problem that these motors have spark problems? I hope i can get some help, as this is a motor ive hope to use on my boat.
Winrace12"

"you should disconnect the bla

"you should disconnect the black/yellow wire at the power pack. this wire grounds out the ignition. there is also a tilt/mercury switch that grounds out the ign, its a blue tube about 1inch long on the exhaust plate, disconnect it. Check for spark. The stator and trigger can be checked by Resistance of the wires without removing flywheel. To remove flywheel spray wd-40 on the crank shaft, install a puller bolted to the flywheel, impact it tight, tap puller shaft with hammer, and repeat. let it sit on their a bit and it will pop. The flywheel has several bolts on top, 2 of those have locking washers, thats where the puller goes, use grade 8 bolts, not cheap ones."

"Thanks JB, that was really go

"Thanks JB, that was really good help! I will try tomorrow, and uploade some pictures as well.
winrace12"

Back