Logo

1985 force 125 compression test

tank2784

Hello, so I recently purchased an 88 bayliner trophy 2110 cuddy. It has twin 125s on the back. I bought this boat from a guy for 250.00 he had no idea if it ran or anything. The hull is in amazing shape. No broken glass, cuddy needs some wood but other than that it was a steal. So I get it home and it sits for about 4 months(work got busy). I finally had the time to play with it. I removed all the battery cables and fuel cables and attempted to crank. Super slow crank. Thought it was maybe the battery so I got a new battery. Did it again still slow crank. Thought we'll it's got to be the starter. Bought new starter installed. Cranked right over. Great. Then it was time to check compression. Used my neighbors tester. Started at #1. 152psi
#2. 138 psi 3. 135 psi 4. 155 psi. I decide to check the other motor and #1 was 170psi 2. Was 168 psi 3. Was 174 psi and 4 was 174psi. Is it normal for a 2 stroke that is almost 40 years old to have such high numbers?

Before getting too worried, I'd go to a national auto parts store and rent a good compression tester and test again. All of those numbers seem high. Let us know how the retest goes.

When a motor is hard to start most folks keep on cranking !-----Burn up the starter.-----So pull the head of the motor with lower compression.----Head gaskets are cheap.------And do not spend any beer tokens until you determine if the wood structure ( transom and stringers ) are in good shape

Back