Logo

1985 90hp mariner losing power

Ibdrinknn

hello guys, im new to the world of boating. I have recently bought a 16' fiberglass with said 90 mariner. it ran perfectly in his driveway, so I took it. this has been the start to my frustration. first trip out was a very short one due to waves, but it seemed to have power, and planed. 2nd trip out was a couple short runs to do some swimming. ran fine on the way out, but would not plane coming back. would get to the point of almost getting up, but not all the way. so I pulled the cover off, and saw that a cdi had been changed. I ordered one off of amazon, and took it out again. same problem again. only while I was playing with it, it all of a sudden shot out of the hole and had all kinds of power...very briefly. then back to the dock with the same lack of power problem. I pulled all 3 carbs off, and cleaned all the fine particles out of the float bowls. put it all back together, and back out I went. right off the hop it planed, and was good for about 5 mins, then slowly came off the plane, and back to the same problem back to the dock. im about to pull the carbs back off and see what kind of crap is back in the bowls. am I missing something, or should I be looking at something else? any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks.

Is oil injection in service if equipped with that?---Or are you mixing at 50:1 on it.-----Checked for water in the fuel ?----Replaced waterpump impeller ?----Done a compression test ?---Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on all leads ?

I had the same problem on a 115. Stator. I replaced trigger and switch box too.......all new CDI. The guy that sold it probably didn't know what was going on either. Just a wild guess. I'm probably wrong again. Did he always run non oxy fuel.....like good boys do?

Back