Logo

1985 318s Carb tuning vacuum source?

tundrarules

Regular Contributor
Have new Edelbrock carbs on the way. Jeff (yes the famous Jeff) says there's no vacuum source to use a vacuum gauge for tuning.

Do you guys know if there's another source to use for hooking up vacuum gauge?

What do you use?

should be a plug in the intake manifold, behind the carb, thats what I use to hook my vacuum gauge too.

What in the @#*(? Found the plug no problem....guess what, it doesn't have a standard size drive!!!!! It's not a 1/4 or a 3/8.. Used a wrench to see what size the drive hole is, and it looks like it's 11/32 drive hole. Where can I find this size drive??? I'm guess I will take a 3/8 extension and grind it down to fit

What are you guys doing?

Update....The intake manifold plug (1985 318s) is a 5/16 male pipe socket. I just took a 3/8 drive extension and ground it to 5/16 with my bench grinder. Now, I'm betting the plugs have been in since 1985. They may be a bear to get out.....hoping they will come out easy.

Last edited:
Update....The intake manifold plug (1985 318s) is a 5/16 male pipe socket. I just took a 3/8 drive extension and ground it to 5/16 with my bench grinder. Now, I'm betting the plugs have been in since 1985. They may be a bear to get out.....hoping they will come out easy.

The intake manifold plug came out just fine. Someone was nice enough to put thread seal on the threads.

Everyone, don't forget to grind that 3/8 drive down to 5/16 if you ever need to remove intake manifold plug just behind the carb to tune carb with vacuum gauge. Good news is it comes out easy. :D

I drilled and tapped my Edlebrocks front AND rear so I can use a vacuum gage. Why they don't do that beats the hell out of me!

Jeff

Back