Logo

1984 mercury 60 hp 3 cyl

Jingle

Hello everyone. Quick question I finally got my outboard running and running good. Adjusted cards to ear. But noticed sometime the trigger gets stuck when I move the throttle.

My question is, is it supposed to move and why does it get stuck sometime. Also noticed my lower carb throttle valve doesnt open at the same time as the top one. Any idea why?

Thanks everyone

You may have to pull the flywheel and stator, then lube the trigger coil.

The lower carb plastic linkage is adjustable. Loosen the tiny Phillips head screw, whack the throttle a few times, then retighten.

Jeff

So were the trigger rides, lube it with what exactly. Also for the lower carb. They only linkage I can find is for the choke. The two carbs have a a shaft with a tee that comes off the lower on and the top slides of it so they move together. Unless I'm missing something?

Lubriplate 105 grease works well and lasts.

Between the carbs is a flimsy black plastic piece with a tiny Phillips head screw. Loosen that screw, settle the cabs at idle by whacking the throttle a few times, and retighten.

Jeff

Awesome thank you. Also one more thing on this engine I dont see an air port to hook up a carb synchronize tool onto. How am I supposed to synch other than by ear in this situation?

There is no fitting for a " carb synchronize " tool.-----These 2 stroke motors are different from a 4 stroke multi carburetor engine.------Many do not understand the 2 stroke concept !!

Another auto mechanic, guys!

Keep working and you'll be fine.

Jeff

PS: Personally, I'm a huge fan of these universally despised Merc triples (and have run a bunch of them on my little fun boat). With a bit of attention, and a few modifications, they run strong and are fairly light for the output.

Hahahah funny auto mechanic!! Still learning will get better with time, I figured out the stator was bad, rebuilt the lower end and replaced impeller on my own. Plus rebuilt the carbs and adjusted.

Not doing great but will say doing better than some. Lol

Back