Logo

1984 85 HP Force outboard leaking oil out weep holes

bcmckinn1122

Hey guys,

Looking for some help here. I just got a boat that has a 1984 85hp Force outboard on it. I took the boat to the lake and the motor shook due to the prop being messed up. Once I got it hope there was a small amount of oil leaking from the weep holes where the lower unit connects to the upper. I have attached a couple of pictures. Any idea what is going on? Maybe the shaft seal or some O rings?

Thanks in advanced for the help!

Ben IMG_3270 (1).jpgIMG_3269 (1).jpg

First thing: there is a slotted screw on the side of the nose cone, NEVER EVER TOUCH that screw.
It is a pin that holds the shift linkage inn place and will be a MF to replace.

That out of the way: check the oil and see if there is water in the gearcase.

NO?? then the gunk draining out is excess gas/oil/ exhaust residue draining down.
Excess gas/oil washes down and out the weep holes.

Yes: Drain the oil(tiny allen head set screw) and pressure test.
You'll need to drop he lower and see where the oil's coming from??

Sometimes the diaphragm in the fuel pump goes bad and pumps fuel down into the motor and it can do the same thing.
Does the ball pump up firm? No? then the pump needs rebuilding or there is a bad hose or connector.

Thanks Jerry, the oil is not milky, so that’s good! One thing that also has started is when I turn the key an alarm sounds. It’s just a solid alarm, no beeps. It happens when the key is turned to the aux position, not when all the way to start. Any idea what that could be?

Aux position??
I haven't seen a Force outboard key switch with an aux position??
In fact I' don't think I've ever seen an aux position on anything other than an automobile??

Maybe the ignition switch is bad?
Maybe crossing wires when you turn he switch.
The steady alarm means it's running hot.

Some other outboards have an alarm when you turn the key but usually for only a second??

Well maybe it isn’t the aux position, but when the key is turned but not yet to on. It started in the middle of the lake and now it does it in the garage. Could it be low oil pressure? I’m new to boat owning so I’m not sure. Thanks again!

No there isn't an oil system on any older Forces.

The only alarm is the overheat system.
I's possible you have a wire crossed or the thermo sending unit is bad?

Start unhooking the orange leads and see what happens.

I still think it's in the key switch??

So I added a little oil to the lower until bc it seemed a little low, and some oil started to drip from the exhaust above the prop. That oil was really thick and milky. Any idea what that means?

Could it maybe be crud from it being winterized coming out? It has only been run once since being winterized. Planning to take it out tomorrow as long as it isn’t going to do damage to take it out. I need to see if the prop I repaired is balanced or if I need to buy a new one.

Gear oil: should be black or clear.
Milky or any water is no good.
In a pinch, you can change the oil and go boating.
UNLESS!!! there is a LOT of water.

Drain it and take a pic and put it on here.
While your working, change the impeller. I added the part # at the bottom.

Oil dripping from the exhaust: could be gear oil or the excess gas/oil dripping through the motor?

You should have a drain plug and 2 screws on the side for a vent and a fill.
I drain it and then fill from one till it comes from the vent, then I fill from the other hole until it comes out the other side.

Prop: if it's badly damaged??? it can cause more damage to the gear housing.
The wobble or shake can hurt the bearings in the carrier.

Ok I will change the oil this afternoon and post a pic. Below I have posted a pic of the stuff that was coming out of the exhaust last night.
Thanks as always!IMG_3287.jpg

Also, I think I am going to buy a new prop. I was told by the local boat shop that I need a 13.5 x 19 prop. Will a 13 x 19 work? I cannot find many 13.5 x 19 and the smaller one is much cheaper?

I got a 13 x 19 today but the anode that the prop sits on sticks out too far and the prop does not sit all the way down on it. I am taking it in tomorrow to see if I can the right one ordered. I changed the oil today, attached is a pic of the oil. It looked good to me, no water or milkly texture to it at all. Good news!

IMG_3289.jpg

The old prop: does i have the thrust hub still on it?
You might have to pry it off and put i on the new prop.

The rag stuff is just unburned oil/gas that drips down from the carbs.

Good deal on the gear oil.

Depending on boat size?? you'll more than likely need a 17p not a 19??
Michigan Propeller has a prop finder service.
Send then the specs on your boat and they'll recommend/sell you a prop

Whats on it now? any marks or letters? look on the end where the nut/washer goes or the side between the blades?

Back