Logo

1983 v-6 OMC Stringer Sterndrive shifted outwards

jcast2010

Hi, I have a 83 Sea Ray with a OMC Stringer V6 GM engine. The boat works like a charm, but just yesterday I noticed the Sterndrive is a little outward from the transom than what it used to be. I already tilted and trimmed all the way but it really does not go back in, it does trim and tilt adequately, but the intermediate housing sticks out a couple of inches from the transom. Here are a several pictures I took so you can see what I am talking about. I don't know what to start checking or fixing or if I should even worry about this. THanks for your help...

2010-10-31 14.40.46.jpg2010-10-31 14.40.23.jpg2010-10-31 14.40.36.jpg2010-10-31 14.40.11.jpg2010-10-31 14.40.01.jpg

Re: OMC Stringer Sterndrive shifted outwards

if the engine is loose in the boat, it's definitely cause for concern..... you could hit the throttle and find the engine between the front seats as the boat is sinking rapidly.

Check engine and drive mounting hardware (lag bolts) and check the stringers for rotten wood before using that boat again.

I checked the mounts last night and found a couple of bolts loose but the mounts were in placce, I did see that the rear mounts are sat on top of a piece of plywood, which is rotten and the mounts sank into it about 1cm

Sounds like you have a problem with your stringers in your boat possibly from rot. Don't run it before you fix it.

plywood?
that ain't good. Somebody has done a bad patch job in the past.

thanks, I am not too familiar what stringers are? Here are some pictures of the rear motor mounts, the wood in between the mount and the bottom of the boat is quite rot. Can you pleas explain to me what you mean by stringers?

DSCN2999.JPGDSCN2998.JPGDSCN3009.jpgDSCN3008.JPG

The Stringers are the parallel pieces of timber that run fore and aft that the engine mountings sit on. These are on either side of the keel.

In the case of a Fibre Glass hull, these pieces are attached to the hull bottom by being sheathed in Fibre Glass. In an "All Timber" construction, they are open.

The problem with sheathing them in Fibre Glass is that any moisture that gets past the attaching points and soaks into the timber will eventually cause the timber to rot. Once in, it cannot get out.

My Seasport 16 looked like it was made using non waterproof plywood, and if it was totally sealed under Fibre Glass, then it would have been okay, but seeing as it wasn't, it was a mess when I stripped it out, but it did make it easier as it simply fell to pieces.

Bruce.

stringers of a boat are like the frame rails of a truck

You'll have to start drilling and poking into the wood and decide if the boat is worth saving or not.

It can all be replaced, but it is a big job.

Ok, now I know what the stringers are, i checked the ones in the boat and they look ok, no cracks or soft spots. I took it today to the boat shop, the guy there said that he would most probably need to take off the rubber boot to see how the intermediate housing looks like from the rear. He said that he had never seen something like this before and he's had the shop for over 20 years... Hopefully it is nothing major, I took the boat out for a test and it runs like a charm even the way it is now, no noise,vibration or anything that this situation could cause, if it weren't for the sterndrive sticking out the way it is, I would of never thought there might be a problem. He checked the mounts and everything looks and feels nice and sturdy ( nothing wobbling or loose). I will let you know what his diagnose is as soon as he tells me.

THanks,

JC

Good Morning Guys,

I got the boat back a couple of weeks ago, the shop went over all the bolts and screws that hold the engine and I.H. and everything is nice and tight. They removed the transon rubber seal to inspect it from the rear and no problems whatsoever. The tilt and trim works great, so I am just going to leave it the way it is, they said that they can lift the motor up and move it a couple of inches forward and bolt it there to fix it, but they say that it is not necessary and that it might interfere with the motor tilt and trim. I am going to start another thread, i have another small problem that just started to show up.

Thanks,

JC.

Wear your life vest at all times on the that i am not kidding. I hope you don't get hurt when the motor falls out the back of the boat with the drive.

Good luck !

I would be going to another place and getting a second opinion.

Another way to check would be to hook a chain onto the lifting points of the motor try and lift the motor up out of the boat, without removing the engine Mountings and see what moves first. If everything is tight, the hull will lift up with the motor.

There HAS to be a reason why it has all moved rearwards, as the engine/outdrive simply cannot move on their own, unless something catastrophic has gone wrong.

Bruce.

With the plywood under the rear mount rotten the entire drive will be tilted down. This could make it appear to have shifted back if you are looking at the top. Either way I would be repairing it before further use.

From looking at the pictures you posted of the engine mountings on the Stringers, they aren't that low that would be causing the problem you described.

That is, unless the whole Stringer has collapsed.

In replacing all the rotten plywood in my boat, I simply made measurements and patterns of where mine was, and simply removed all the "Mess" and cut new Plywood to shape, and fibreglassed if all back into place. Now I know it is strong, and actually stronger than factory as I ran the forward ends up past the main framework, and securely fastened it to the sides. Got to have strength here.

Bruce.

Picture 015-1024.jpgPicture 040-1024.jpgPicture 041-1024.jpg

He said "I noticed the Sterndrive is a little outward from the transom than what it used to be"

He said it not me in the first post.

That means it moved while he had it.

That means something is wrong.

That means it's not safe.

If it moved once, it will move again.

So if he wants to leave it alone i say let him.

We already told him whats, what.

He doesn't want to listen, what can we do ?

Back