Logo

1983 Johnson 70HP Volt output

"Folks, I have a small concern

"Folks, I have a small concern with the voltage readings from my 70HP Johnson and would appreciate your guidence. Current readings from the fish finder (which has a volt display on it) the volts at idle at 12.8 ish. At 5500 RPM (I think the tack uses the same for its readings)it is 14 - 16 volts. Is this a problem? With the rectifier?. Originally the volts used to only get to 14 at 5500RPM. Last year when this started I notice my deep cycle battery was making bubbling sounds. So, I replaced the battery this year with an even larger deep cycle battery and the readings remained the same. Appreciate your thoughts!"

"u have an unregulated chargin

"u have an unregulated charging system,...and it is working!....the larger batt,as it charges,is prob why u r getting the higher voltages...go back to a 'cranking' batt....and lv the deep cycles,for trolling mtrs....also,try using up some volts..."

"JWB, Thanks for the advice, J

"JWB, Thanks for the advice, Just need to understand "cranking" batt? The previous deep cycle was five years old (as of last year) when the volts all of a sudden went up. I don't have a trolling mtr, only electronics are simple (no amp) stereo, fish finder, lights, dc outlet (rarely used), and a bilge (manual electric) pump. My factory service manual (mind you for 1980 model) states for over charging to do what you've said, "turn on some acessories during extensive running" but continues on with "or install OMC regulator kit". Should I be looking at getting this regulator kit? Will this condition cause damage to the new battery? The other note in the same section refers to "Under capacity battery" and that is why I got the larger battery (not by much compared to the old one). Confused."

"cranking batt,and deep cycles

"cranking batt,and deep cycles,r 2 diff animals,designed for,2 diff things...try a reg 'cranking' batt,say 500 cca's or so..u have prob,too much batt on that system,for it to chg,AND stay under..14V..."

"High voltage is usually cause

"High voltage is usually caused by dirty connections, loose connections. the wrong type battery (none deep cycle) or a bad battery.
14 to 16 would not be uncommon,on an unregulated,system...turn on ur lights.!"

Back