Logo

1982 MERC BLACKMAX 200HP WONT GO OVER 3000 RPM

linmok

New member
"I HAVE TWO PROBLEMS,MAY BE SE

"I HAVE TWO PROBLEMS,MAY BE SEPERATE OR LINKED.AT START UP,WHEN COLD,MOTOR JUMPS TO 3000 RPM,AND GRADUALY BUMPS DOWN TO 1000 RPM.THE OTHER PROBLEM IS MY BOAT WILL PLANE,BUT AT 2800 RPM,THE MOTOR STARTS BREAKING UP BAD,AND WILL NOT GO PAST 3000 RPM.THE MOTOR IS IN TIME,CARB PLATES CLOSE FULLY AS WELL AS OPEN FREELY AT WOT.I HAVE SPARK ON ALL CYLINDERS,AND HAVE NEW FUEL WICH IS CLEARLY MAKING IT TO THE CARBS AND THE ENRICHMENT VALVE.MOTOR WILL IDLE AT 1000 RPM AND RUN AT 2800 RPM FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME.ONE THING I NOTICE IS THE PLUGS ARE ALWAYS WET.AND THERE SEEMS TO BE MORE BLACK RESIDUE COMING OUT OF THE EXHAUST THAN NORMAL.BOTH THESE CONDITIONS STARTED WHEN THE PROBLEM STARTED,TWO WEEKS AGO.MOTOR WAS REBUILT THIS WINTER,AND COMPRESION IS AT 120 ON EACH CYLINDER,I RECHECKED THAT THIS MORNING.ANY IDEAS WHAT WOULD DO THIS?PLEASE HELP ASAP.THANK YOU"
 
"Hi there,

Could it be that


"Hi there,

Could it be that you're over-fuelling? Float levels correct? Sticking maybe?

Keep us posted as to the solution.

Regards!

Benjamin."
 
"I have an '83 200HP Black

"I have an '83 200HP Black Max and had the exact same problem. I took it to the shop and the rectifier had fried due to pinched wires that caused it to burn out, took out my tach too. Engine was running on 3 cylinders and was shaking badly. Check for any pinched/corroded wires...hope that helps."
 
Back
Top