Logo

1982 johnson 50hp loss of power

travis

" running off the hose it runs

" running off the hose it runs fine,, put it in the water it wont run passed 2000rpm. checked the compression on both plugs,, its holding compression fine, im getting good spark from coils to plugs and from the plugs to ground. the only thing that i havent checked is the power pack,, would that cause a loss in power, and if so how would one check to see if the power pack is good or bad with a volt/ohm meter?

Thanx: Travis "

" Travis,

I&#39

" Travis,

I'm interested in what the compression was, but assuming it's even and high enough, have you looked into fuel? I'd suspect fuel issues (like a clogged carb or weak fuel flow from a bad pump or filter) before ignition.

Jon "

A sheared flywheel key will t

A sheared flywheel key will throw the ignition timing out. Check the simple things and you could save a lot of money . Good trouble shooting is important.Spark MUST JUMP at least a 7/16 gap other wise it is no good.

" I would suspect the powerpac

" I would suspect the powerpack if the spark and compression are good and you have checked the fuel lines and carburetor. Also could be the stator, or your engine could be overheating. Many OMC engines are equipped with SLOW speed limiting overheat warning systems. This will not let the motor rev up over 3000 RPM. "

Back