Logo

1982 Evinrude 140 overheating

Scod

Hi guys, I've got some issues I need help with. Overheating and a black liquid.

My Evinrude 140 was running fine until some electrical issues had me on 3 cylinders. I've resolved them, and during that time I replaced the thermostats as I could feel one side of the motor was much warmer than the other. I found a thermostat jammed open.

So with new thermostats and a new trigger and back to 4 cylinders I took it out. No problems when cruising around slowly but when I gave it some throttle it would overheat after about 10-15 seconds. I replaced the impeller which was worn. Took it out and the overheating problem persists.

After overheating for the third time I couldn't get it started again and had to be towed. Starter was cranking, flywheel spinning, but wouldn't fire. Once I got it on the trailer I thought I'd at least crank it over to flush it. It started and ran fine but there was a black oil like liquid coming from the drain holes next to the gearbox. Could this be unburnt fuel that's mixed with soot in the exhaust from cranking it over? Why wouldn't it start until half an hour later? Is there an electric cut off that activated after overheating or could it be flooded carbies and tilting the motor drained them enough to start?

I have pulled the motor pump apart and it all looks fine. The black liquid is mostly in the exhaust and doesn't dry out. None inside the water pump. Why is it overheating? Could I have buggered up the installation of the thermostats? I don't like the idea of taking them out again, installation was no fun, think I'll be cutting open my motor housing next time.

Appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance.

Back