hollygolly
New member
Good day people.
I have recently bought a second hand evinrude 70hp outboard, 1982 about 6 weeks ago. When out of the water on the trailer it starts fine, goes into gear and revs well. but when i put it in the water (sea) and start it it ticks over OK, but as soon as i try to put any throttle on it, it dies, just cuts out. I have tried to get some revs on it, and it will drop into gear and tick over and run at about 3knots, but try any more revs and it cuts out? I stripped the fuel pump and noticed the plastic plug and spring was siezed, so released that and cleaned it all out thinking problem solved, but no still the same. I wnt down today and took the front cover off the carbs and put in some carb cleaner and left it for an hour or so, started it up and noticed it now races ever so slightly, more than it did before. I also noted that when each carb intake was blocked wit a rag it slowed down but did not cut out (engine up to temp) every time, but the middle carb cut out the quickest, i only mention this as someone said this will indicate a problem with the carbs, but as i am not a mechanic i was not sure what to expect. So can any of you guys help, anyone else experienced this problem? I have not yet put it back in the water since flushing out the carbs so have no idea if it is fixed, but just wanted to see if anyone else had similar problems and whjat the fix was?
Cheers
Peter
I have recently bought a second hand evinrude 70hp outboard, 1982 about 6 weeks ago. When out of the water on the trailer it starts fine, goes into gear and revs well. but when i put it in the water (sea) and start it it ticks over OK, but as soon as i try to put any throttle on it, it dies, just cuts out. I have tried to get some revs on it, and it will drop into gear and tick over and run at about 3knots, but try any more revs and it cuts out? I stripped the fuel pump and noticed the plastic plug and spring was siezed, so released that and cleaned it all out thinking problem solved, but no still the same. I wnt down today and took the front cover off the carbs and put in some carb cleaner and left it for an hour or so, started it up and noticed it now races ever so slightly, more than it did before. I also noted that when each carb intake was blocked wit a rag it slowed down but did not cut out (engine up to temp) every time, but the middle carb cut out the quickest, i only mention this as someone said this will indicate a problem with the carbs, but as i am not a mechanic i was not sure what to expect. So can any of you guys help, anyone else experienced this problem? I have not yet put it back in the water since flushing out the carbs so have no idea if it is fixed, but just wanted to see if anyone else had similar problems and whjat the fix was?
Cheers
Peter

