Logo

1982 50hp merc carb and timing adjustments

Joseph Feltner

my 82 50 hp 4cyl merc started running bad last year cleaned carb bettrer but by adjusting mixture screws i can either get it to start good ( no choke), idle good, or have power in gear. never two at a time. can someone tell proper adj procedure and would advancing timing help being the reason for retarding timing is to achive a slow idle and i don't have that prob i have to low of idle when i do get it to idle. thanks 4 ur help guys.

Timing is fixed and no attemt should be made to adjust it.-------------Do a compression test to evaluate motor condition.---Check to make sure you have spark on all 4 cylinders , they often run ( quite nice ) on 3 cylinders.--------Slow speed mixture adjustment is about 1 turn out from gently seated and then adjust equally from there.

thanks race rone did comp test and checked spark last year but my memory is crap so i am going to re check all.i know they all passed but no sense in chasing my tail. i know i must put boat under load to full test but will start with test tank tonight and get it close.

Back