Logo

1981 35hp Evinrude fuel problem

rivercamp

"Hello guys, this is my first

"Hello guys, this is my first post. I am working on an older fishing boat, with a 35 hp engine. If i spray starter fuild it starts right up.How can i test the fuel pump? I took the screw out of the carb bowl, and after it drained, i cranked the engine. Fuel flowed out with little pressure.The fuel tank bulb pumps up tight. Thanks Neal"

"Neal welcome to marineengine.

"Neal welcome to marineengine...spraying starting fluid in to a outboard is BAD as the motor runs without lubrication you can quickly damage the motor like that, it is much better to pre mix 50:1 gas/oil in a spray bottle and spray that in to the throat of the carb. If the motor does not stays running by itself but runs if you keep pumping the fuel bulb that is a good indicator that your fuel pump is bad..."

"if the fuel primer bulb,pumps

"if the fuel primer bulb,pumps up 'tight',w/the drain screw OUT........float/needle assm is sticking..
the easiest,and best,test for a fuel pump,.is if,...while running,u squeeze primer bulb and it runs better,bad pump..."

"I went and squeezed the prime

"I went and squeezed the primer bulb real hard ,and she started right up, and then died. I will try and hold pressure on it tomorrow. I'll not use starter fulid again, and new rubber is a good idea. The bulb pumps up tight with the screw in. Thanks for the help."

"alot,..of boat operators---ex

"alot,..of boat operators---expect an outboard,to fire up and run w/out doing anything at all,once started...AND,..that is the way it SHOULD be ,but unless u have a FFI-DFI--or any other fuel inj nightmare,...,the eng needs an operator who understands,what it takes...
after starting,..'feather'...the choke...give it some throttle...warm it up...
it has no auto chk,it needs assistance,as the primer/chk butterflies...only wk,...when told too...as ur eng warms up,..keep it at 800-100,push key in a few times during this time."

Back