Logo

1980 35hp Johnson motor, pee whole dry

Kris2216

Hey I just bought this motor with a boat, n when I connect the bunny ears to the bottom part of the motor n try to crank the engine no water comes out from the 2 small exhaust holes or the pee hole.. I'm thinking it's clogged up. Guy I bought it from said it sat for like 6 months outside. I wonder if the water pump is dirty n clogged? Does the bottom end have a gasket? Any help will help me a lot, I'm fairly new to boats.. Thanks

Tell-tale could be plugged, try running some weed wacker line up the tube and see if it's clogged. With the engine running on a hose you will not get water out of the exhaust ports, does any water come out of the center of the prop?

It water comes out the middle of the exhaust is very minimal, I know the whole bottom shafts gets hot ass hell when it runs for a lil while. I don't let it run to long cuz I'm scared it will over heat. So I just stuck the wire in the pee hole all the way down? What exactly is a tell-tale?

Tell-tale, a better name for "pee-hole".
Since the engine is new to you, it might be time to drop the lower unit and check the water pump.

yea this weekend i am going to drop the lower unit this weekend and see if its clogged up. does the lower unit have a gasket? or do i just need some sealant to put on it?

i tried to drop the lower unit on monday and we couldnt get that damn thing to come out, farthest it would drop is when its in reverse about inch thats about it. i looked for a linkage in the middle of the shaft n i ddint see no opening for it or my scrrens dont come out they are molded into the shaft and i dont know exactly where the bolt is underneath the carb. any help guys?

Perhaps you want to remove the black plastic intake screen on the lower unit.-------------You might find the connection for the shift rod there.------Then you will have to slide the top nut up and remove the black plastic keeper on the rod.----That keeper is split.

My lower unit does not have the screens that come out like Item #7 does, it's castes into the unit.
Some ppl say I got to unscrew the linkage from underneath the carb, but I do not see the bolt or nut anywhere, maybe I'm just over looking it? Any suggestions?

Back