Logo

1979 Yukon Delta houseboat Volvo AQ140A

Ran64

New member
Hello, new to forum. Volvo penta AQ140A will not start. Checked timing, got spark at TDC #1 cylinder compression stroke. Replaced points, plugs, condenser, rotor. Squirt new gas in carbs and it just cranks, no start. Just bought, been setting 2 years. Told it was started 8 months ago. Help please.
 
Last edited:
Remove disti cap... check the advance weights aren't frozen. Unless cap is PRISTINE, replace it. Check gap on points or if you have a dwell meter check dwell angle. CAREFULLY check for proper firing order, i.e. are plugs properly connected to disti cap. Previous owner's statement about health of motor should always be taken with more than just a grain of salt :)

Spark should be at the "static" advance angle not Zero... ( hence check of advance weights as a starter).
 
OK, replaced distributor cap and checked advance springs are free. Still fires but does not even try to start. Going to get a compression gauge and check pressure. I don’t know what else to do right now.
 
For future reference allways listen to the run before buying a boat. If the seller will not start it for you assume it needs a engine. How old is the fuel? When the plugs are wet see if it burns with a lighter. Yes do a compression test with a fully charged battery and give us the numbers.
 
Yes, I new going in that I may need an engine. That’s no problem, I got the boat at a steal. I am going to remodel completely anyway. Been working on engines since I was 14, but this one is trying my knowledge. I will diagnose the problem, it just takes time to eliminate the goog to find the bad. I will post compression numbers later. It’s most likely something simple I am missing since the main elements are there to run.
 
I failed to note that the above numbers are after I put some oil in the cylinders. Now after 4 hours later, numbers are #1@95. #2@90. #3@75. #4@90. Looks like an overhaul or replacement is required. I live near Fort Worth, TX. Would like to know what engines would fit with my outdrive.
 
It has the dual carb setup on the 140a and the only tag I can find is on the outdrive by the tilt motor. S/n 201631 and product number 7733. Cannot find that number in the list, so don’t know what the outdrive is.
 
There should be a plate on the upper gearbox just behind the helmut to ID the drive. Post some pics the lower gearbox could be different?
 
Where can I find a list of rebuild parts for the 140a engine? I’m thinking of rebuilding the engine. I know the B21 block is the same. I will have to wait until I get the motor apart to see what is standard and what has been bored or turned. I am going to get a Clymers book for these motors and dive in. Good winter project.
 
First pull the head and inspect the cylinder walls. Also look at the #4 exhaust port on the head. You need a machinist that can hold to marine specs our engines work much harder than car engines.
 
Back
Top