Logo

1979 Johnson Sea Horse 15 hp Question

"I have just acquired a 15 hp

"I have just acquired a 15 hp Johnson, 1979. I put it in a trash can full of water and it fires up very easily when dead cold and settles into a slow idle very nicely. When I open the throttle In Neutral, it winds up nicely to what I would say is 1/2 of its max rpm. Why doesn't it wind out all the way? Do these have a governor that possibly needs to be adjusted? Or is there some kind of limiter to prevent over-revving in neutral? I haven't put it in gear yet (trash can too small, bad set up, etc...)

I'm a mechanic by hobby and nature but I am new to outboards."

"Bill..... Outboards have a ne

"Bill..... Outboards have a neutral safety lock of sorts to prevent applying full throttle. At full throttle, in neutral, it's possible to encounter a runaway engine scenario whereas the engine would simply keep gaining speed even though one would close the throttle.

By the time one figured out how to shut the engine down (if possible), connecting rods would be flying out the sides of the crakcase."

"AHA! Thanks. Makes sense.

"AHA! Thanks. Makes sense. That's great, I've learned something new about outboards (I'm aware of the dangers of over-revving...) AND even better I've learned there is nothing wrong with mine.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Bill"

Back