Logo

1979 Evinrude 115 crankshaft bolt

Bjsmith919

Regular Contributor
Guys, I have a 1979 Evinrude 115999R I've been working on. Had my shade tree mechanic uncle over helping me remove the flywheel and instead if pulling it with the harmonic balancer I bought just for that, he says you can bring the nut up flush with the bolt and pop it with a hammer and the flywheel will come right off. Well, needless to say that didn't happen. Only thing he managed to do was mess the threads up on the nut and bolt. The nut is beyond repair so I'm buying a new one of those but was hoping someone could give some info on the bolt in hopes I could straighten those threads out. It's only the top 3-4 threads that are bent down just enough that just looking at it is know it's going to give me a problem when I get the new nut. I'm sure you guys have seen this before and hope someone can shed some light on how to fix it without having to take it to the machine shop. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for the help.

That hammer trick works on a lot of small lawn mower engines.--------Does not work well on locking flywheel tapers that were installed with 105 ft-lbs torque.-----------Post picture of the damage.

I can't figure out how to upload pictures to the site. It keeps giving me an error message. Can't really tell from the pictures anyway. They're just slightly turned down. Gonna keep playing with it to see if I can get a picture to upload

You can buy a thread file from most parts houses or tool dealers. Get one, figure out the thread size and clean them up.

Back