Logo

1979 70 hp Water in Exhaust Port to Fuel Pump

JEH63

Have a 1979 70 hp outboard. Runs great for a mile or two then bogs down. Found about a thimble full of water in the line going from fuel pump to a exhaust port off the starboard side. Hoping it's a bad gasket and not a crack somewhere. Compression check has all cylinders measuring @ 120-130 PSI. Ideas anyone?

It's supposed to have water in there--to cool the fuel pump. (Bad idea, for the impeller is too small on these, resulting in burnt top cylinders. Plug it!)

Does it bog when you suddenly crack the throttle open? If so, add a 1/4 turn OUT on the idle mixture screws.

Jeff

It's supposed to have water in there--to cool the fuel pump. (Bad idea, for the impeller is too small on these, resulting in burnt top cylinders. Plug it!)

Does it bog when you suddenly crack the throttle open? If so, add a 1/4 turn OUT on the idle mixture screws.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Problem is, the motor has a diaphragm type fuel pump which works off the intake and exhaust stroke of one of the cylinders. I can see where the hoses route from the pump to fittings located just under the power head. I was told this should be a closed system. Figure I have a crack somewhere or gasket has been compromised. Have not been able to locate a drawing that shows just how the connections are made to the cylinder. I think I've found everything about this motor EXCEPT this one little thing. Guess I'm tearing it down to find out. thanks again!

Back