Logo

1978 Mercury Black Max, kicks out of gear or something. Help!!!!

Bohunter21

Today i took my 1878 HydraSport with my 1978 Mercury 150 HP Black Max out on the river for the first time this year. i have owned this rig for about five years and have never had any serious problems with it, until today. im not to sure if this is serious or not and i need a little help identifying the problem. we had been on the water for about five hours and were heade for the ramp and home. i was running a little harder than i usually do, cranked her up to around 5500 RPM's and was cruising when all of a sudden it acted like the engine whent into neutral. the RPM's went high and the boat lost all power. i immediately let off of the throttle, let the engine idle a few seconds and then put it back in gear. all seemed well until i got the RPM's back up and the smae thung happened again. i didnt want to tke any chances so we cruised back to the ramp at low RPM and i brought the boat home. i pulled the prop to check the splines, ther was a little slop but not enough to allow a slip. do any of you have any ideas what could cause this? its like you were racing down the road in your car with your foot on the gas and then kicked in into neutral...
Thanks for your help.
Bohunter

" i was running a little harder than i usually do,"

First thing comes to mind is the bushing inside the prop is shot. You said its a '78, Prop ever been worked on??

Back