Logo

1978 johnson 140

gizmolvr

Contributing Member
"I am going to rebuild the car

"I am going to rebuild the carbs on my johnson 140. I have replaced all coils, power packs, thermostats, and water pump so far and the motor is still not running consistently. It did sit for a few years so i believe the carbs could be causing the issues. Any tips or suggestions for rebuilding the carbs? Are there a lot of adjustments that need to be done when rebuilding? Also yesterday, put boat in, started right up. Shut it down for a minute and it would not start again, had to spray starter fluid in carbs in order for it to start again. Thanks"

"First of all stop using start

"First of all stop using starter fluid. There is no lube in it. Use pre-mix in a spray bottle. You are on the right track as motors that have sat for several years require special attention. Rebuild the carbs and fuel pump. Also if you haven't done it yet, change the oil in the L/U. When done do a link & sync as specified in your manual."

Thanks for the reply. Already

Thanks for the reply. Already did the lower unit oil. I do have a fuel pump kit as well. Are there any special tools i need to get in order to rebuild/tune the carbs?

Back