Logo

1978 35hp Evinrude model 358B62R - starter lockout / gear selector lockout

Herman Melville

New member
Hi

I have a 19778 35hp evinrude 2 stroke model 358B62R

It starts well and rinds great and definitely fit's the 'They don't make them liek they used to' saying.

There are a couple of things I have not been able to figure on it.. one in particular.

You will see the accompanying picture is useful.

Right - how to explain this?

Short story is that the starter lockout and the stops on the rotating throttle plate and the gear selector lockout 'pole' don't quite work together properly - or at least I don't think they work together properly - you may tell me otherwise.

So now the long story....

The adjuster screw that sits in the top of the gear selector/lockout 'pole' is not original. But it's been out there very carefully.

As you adjust it inwards it pushes on the starter lockout and opens it but once done the ger selector pole also moves 'out' so that the 'stops' on the rotating throttle disk don't contact with the gear 'pole' any more. In other words - you can start it with a lot more throttle on than it needs, or you are supposed to, considering it's in neutral. You can start it on full throttle. Obviously I don't.

At the other end of the scale if you loosen off the adjuster bolt so that the gear lockout 'pole' begins to work then the starter lockout closes up and you can't start it.

There is one very precise position of the adjuster screw where the starter lockout is off and the gear selector lockout is 'KINDA' working and you can strt it under those conidtions.

Fine ? - well I think not quite.

You see I think the gear lockout 'pole' is in the worng place. it's too far 'out' - away from the block. Even when I adjust the screw to just the right position then the only 'over throttle stop' that contacts the gear selector 'pole' is Stop 1 - this is still fast on the engine. I am expecting that the correct starting position for the 'pole' is to be further in and contacting stop 2. This would be a better start / idle position and this is how it's indicated on the throttle handle.

The poroble is becasue of the 'pusher' spring - that you can just see as you look 'past' the top of the gear lockout 'pole' even with the adjuster screw fully off there is no way to get the pole to go that far in towards the block. It can be moved there by fingers and I am sure that is where it is supposed to be in the correct setup.

Becuase of the paint I am pretty sure that the components are original - apart from the adjuster screw of course but changing that will not help - it just selects the length of thread - any screw will do.

So I am baffled. Is the 'gear selector lockout pole' supposed to go as far in as contacting stop 2 ? is that the correct start postion? I don't know - any ideas?

My feeling is that it has been a reluctant starter in the past and this arrangement has been put in to allow it to have more gas on startup and get going easier - but I can't work out how to get it back again.....

That is the question - how to get it back like it should be.

Any help very much appreciated. As I say it runs great so I love it.

IMG_4475 - Copy.jpg

Cheers, Colin
 
Back
Top