Logo

1977 Merc T-Bolt 50hp Need Help Ordering Lower Unit Parts

Fuddyduddy

Regular Contributor
I plan on taking my lower unit off and properly servicing it with a new water pump and the bearings and parts necessary to keep it running cool and watertight. I know what to get for the cooling part but not sure about the other necessary parts. I do have some water getting in and it is time to replace the necessary items. I found a wad of mono(spider wire) fishing line inside the prop shaft. Thank you for any help you can give,- Fuddyduddy

Is there a reason why you need to replace the bearings? Because that job requires complete disassembly of the lower unit and requires special tools.

Water intrusion may not necessarily have harmed the bearings unless it's been sitting with nothing but salt water in the gearcase for a long time. If you instead have an emulsion of water and oil you may or may not have damage.

The best thing to do there is to pull the L/U, remove the water pump assy including the pump base (which holds the driveshaft seals) and then you'll be able to evaluate the condition of the driveshaft ball bearing. If the bearing looks good and operates smoothly, the propshaft turns smoothly and the L/U shifts properly, you may need to do nothing but a re-seal.

The most likely places to leak are the driveshaft seals and the shift shaft bushing seal. You can do a pressure test on the gearcase, if you have the right equipment. 12psi max pressure.

I would pick up the complete pump kit, which includes upper and lower pump housings, impeller, and all the sundries.

The lower pump housing will come with oil seals already installed, saving you some time & effort.

Also pick up a new shift shaft bushing, it'll be easier for you and comes with new seal already installed, and a new O-ring. You'll need the special bushing removal tool or make your own by grinding "tabs" in an appropriately-sized deep socket.

NOTE: if you do pull the bushing, DO NOT allow the shift shaft to move upwards or pull the shift shaft out, the shift clutch is spring-loaded and puts pressure on the shift cam, when you pull the shift shaft out of the cam the spring pressure will push the shift cam out-of-alignment and you'll have to go thru some machinations (i.e. stand on your head and hold your mouth right, etc :mad:) to get it back in place. I can help with that if it happens anyway!

Some P/N's for the bushing removal tool are: Merc 31107T, Sierra 18-9817, GLM 901040.

Your 1977 50hp Merc should have the "hockey-stick" style of blue & red decals. 1977 model year for 50hp started with serial #4576237. Check your serial #, located on the plate between the transom clamps, and plug it into the Merc parts database here:

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard/index.php

This should lead you directly to the parts diagrams for your motor.

HTH & let us know what you find when you tear into it......ed

Sorry that I typed bearings instead of seals. Had bearings fresh in mind after taking care of the trailer. Serial number is 4707239 so 1977 is the correct vintage. The seal I am most concerned with is involved with the prop and prop shaft. I think I can take it from here on parts ordering. I'll let you know what I run into. Thanks for the great help.-Mike

If there is no oil leaking from the prop shaft, likely the seals are OK. You have 2 seals the same size, one with the lips in and one with the lips out. I rarely see propshaft seals leaking, the majority of the time it's the driveshaft seals. The vacuum generated under the water pump plate via pumping action is enough to suck the oil out of the L/U with bad seals. When oil goes out, water goes in!

If you do have to replace the propshaft seals, the gearcase cover "nut" has to come out so you can pull the propshaft bearing carrier. There is a special tool used to unscrew the cover nut, and the nut must be torqued to specs upon reassembly.

Fortunately on your motor the driveshaft is stainless in the seal area so you shouldn't have any shaft corrosion issues found with older, mild steel shafts.

"special tool" question. Where do I find that so I can order it? Sorry if I'm asking silly questions or can I make one like for a deep skinny socket or wrench that needs ground down?-Mike

OK. I have put you to some unneeded work. I found the tool a few minutes ago. I will be taking the lower unit off before ordering parts. Right now I can think of nothing more to ask. Wait till I mess up. U-tube may be my friend, Thanks again for all the help-Mike

Back