Logo

1977 MC 165 with water in oil pan

pyavenger23

I'm new to this site and boat engine issues, but now that I own this 1977 SeaRay185 with a GM straight 6 cylinder engine, a $1K "deal of the year"...sure could use some help in root causing why the oil pan was holding 1 quart of clean water, and likely more. Over full dip stick reading led to draining the oil pan...only water flowing out so I replugged it. I know it will take X many oil changes and dry cranking cycling to push & purge all the water out, then finally an attempt at starting it up....but what are likely causes of H2O in the oil pan??? This was supposedly "properly winterized" last year. Secondly, any other major concerns to address because of the water in the oil pan???

Last edited:
Cracked block or exhaust manifold. Pull the spark plugs to see if water comes out. Engine is probably ruined if it has had water in it awhile. Get that water and contaminated oil out of the pan asap; you just might be lucky.

Thanks for the possible directions to the root cause. So the next steps are: 1) get the oil & water out of the pan and engine with multiple oil changes. 2) Pull all spark plugs, and inspect for water in cylinders. if NO water in cylinders, and with ALL water removed, ATTEMPT to start it up, and WATCH for leaking water from block, exhaust manifold, or other leak paths. IF IT SOUNDS BAD, shut if off and blow it up for the 4th of July!!!

Back