Logo

1977 Johnson steering bracket

Sandyman1216

Hello I have broken tiller handle steering bracket. Will be replacing with remote bracket .question? Is it easier to remove power head or take off the shaft ?

Hello I have broken tiller handle steering bracket. Will be replacing with remote bracket .question? Is it easier to remove power head or take off the shaft ?

In mentioning a "tiller handle", I visualize a older small horsepower engine... 25hp, something on that order. If so, I have always removed the retaining nuts from the motor mounts, then simply removed the entire engine assembly from the swivel bracket assembly which gives one a clear view of the damaged steering bracket.

sorry .I thought I put 35 hp in the subject. what I've seen on utube is removing the two side nuts under the bracket than the one under center(hard to get to) also the supports halfway down exhaust housing. Ijust can't picture it coming loose.

I have a spare remote bracket the one that's on there had the tillerhandle broken off. Bought it when I couldn't get the other one running . It just seems to be worth fixing. I''LL get started in couple days .it's chainsaw season. Thanks

Back