Logo

1977 440bs question

houseboater58

"I have a 1977 Uniflite 34 wit

"I have a 1977 Uniflite 34 with two M440's, they are fresh water cooled. My question is do they have a sacrificial anode in the heat exchanger? I can find nothing in the literature about it and I do not see anything about them on websites showing replacement coolers and parts. Thanks."

"Yes they do have a zinc. I h

"Yes they do have a zinc. I have the kind of heat exchangers that are on a bracket running alonside of the motors. I believe this is refered to as a "half" system. The exhaust manifolds are cooled by antifreeze. Look for a bolt towards the bottom edge of the exchanger. It is about an inch from the end of the unit. I can remove the end plates of my exchanges for cleaning. You can see that the zinc "3/8" ,I believe, will clear all of the cooling tubes and just sit in the flow of raw water.The exchangers came with only a drain plug that is replaced by the zinc. If you can't remove the end, take a pencil of something to insert in the plug hole to make sure the zinc won't bend any cooling tubes if it is screwed into place."

Pencil zinc very cheap if you can get the old one out, easy now

That "half" system wonder whats the disadvatage to running coolant throught the exhaust mannys?

picking up metal debris from the mannifold and running it through the engine ?

Anybody recommend it?

Back