Logo

1977 140hp johnsom starting issue

strybie

Hi i have a 1977 140hp johnson on my old pride skiboat i bought as a project motor wasnt running when i purchased.
i have since replaced carby's ,fuel pump, sparkplugs and coil pack and the motor runs start pretty good pulls me out of the water no worries.
The issue i have is when im starting from cold i have to lift the throttle advance and use a little choke to start witch starts fine but after the motor has warmed up i can never start the motor without having to use the throttle advance everytime i start it.
More just annoying cause when it fire motor is scraming its head off until i drop lever and idea ?timing issue ?

So, it is running well and idles well? Not a timing issue. More likely a synchronization problem, especially since you replaced the carbs. Or an idle speed issue. Or a choke issue. Too many possibilities to consider without a thorough diagnostic procedure.

So, it is running well and idles well? Not a timing issue. More likely a synchronization problem, especially since you replaced the carbs. Or an idle speed issue. Or a choke issue. Too many possibilities to consider without a thorough diagnostic procedure.

yes it runs well idles fine u just cant start it without without use the timing advance

The downloadable ones I've seen are 3d party manuals, not factory. I'm not saying you can't download a factory manual but the 3d party manuals are generally poor compared to the genuine article.

The downloadable ones I've seen are 3d party manuals, not factory. I'm not saying you can't download a factory manual but the 3d party manuals are generally poor compared to the genuine article.

The manual seems pretty detailed

so since it idles fine and runs fine pull me 110kg skier out of water am I safe to say timing is okay and need to adjust the linkages for start like I said before runs well apart from having to lift throttle control lever ever time I need to start with motor hot or cold

Back