Logo

1976 evinrude 115 fresh tune up parts , now wont start .cc

So , my motor was starting really easy and running .........it ran like crap albeit, but running none the less . I put a new power pack and coils ( cdi brand ) because the ignition parts looked to be original 40 year old parts , plus the coils were all cracked and a couple had started to melt and drip rubbery goo . Replaced the rectifier also because it looked to have seen better days . Rebuilt the carbs , and put all new seals in the lower unit . Also replaced the water pump . Oh , New plugs also....my problem is that having done the tune up parts mostly as preventive maintenance I figured it would fire right up and run like a scared chicken , but I get nothing . It turns over , but acts like it has no spark ? I am completely stumped at this point. I have checked the wires at least 10 times and even put my old power pack back on thinking that I possibly got a dud. Still wont pop off . I have a brand new battery , so im pretty sure its turning fast enough to generate spark , even by ear , it sounds like it turns over better than it did before . Man , I really just want to go fishing , and im so close I can hardly stand it.....I have exhausted myself trying to figure it out....and im getting nowhere fast ! Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated .
 
Cyl . 1 - 115
Cyl.2 - 115
Cyl 3 - 115
Cyl 4 - 110

Like I said it started and ran with 40 year old electronics . Literally just switched out with new components and now I don't get spark .
 
Yes , I tried with the kill circuit disconnected , still no fire . I done have a dva tester....money I know somebody I could borrow one from . Only thing is , I reconnected all the old ignition parts that were known to work and still get nothing.....this is weird , because never crossed a wire or did anything to blow anything. Has anybody ever had a similar experience ? Im bringing to think possibly the stator or trigger may be at fault
 
Yes , I replaced with all the parts that are known to be good from the pp to the spark plugs . Why would the stator or trigger be affected when it was working perfectly fine before ? I cant stress how frustrating this is ! I guess I should have left good enough alone eh ?
 
Well , now I feel stupid , it was the fuel.......or lack there of .......

..I guess that is what i get for getting in a hurry . Thanks for bringing me back to earth.
 
Put all the old parts including the rectifier and the old plugs . Still didn't fire , I knew it couldn't be spark because it worked when I took them off , that told me it had to be fuel . So I took the baffle off the carbs and sprayed some due ppl down the throat of the carbs and it fired right off . . Tomorrow ill put the new parts back on and see if it indeed was only a fuel problem . Im gonna have to get a new key because my wife snapped it in half while cranking as I sprayed the fuel.....I guess if it ain't one thing its another ! What ate the chances of me getting just a key for my power pilot control box ? Would it be easier to get a new key and switch from West marine ? Like a universal switch for a magneto type ignition ? It is my understanding that an automotive switch will not work .
 
Put all the old parts including the rectifier and the old plugs . Still didn't fire , I knew it couldn't be spark because it worked when I took them off , that told me it had to be fuel . So I took the baffle off the carbs and sprayed some due ppl down the throat of the carbs and it fired right off . . Tomorrow ill put the new parts back on and see if it indeed was only a fuel problem . Im gonna have to get a new key because my wife snapped it in half while cranking as I sprayed the fuel.....I guess if it ain't one thing its another ! What ate the chances of me getting just a key for my power pilot control box ? Would it be easier to get a new key and switch from West marine ? Like a universal switch for a magneto type ignition ? It is my understanding that an automotive switch will not work .
It wasnt the Fuel....dont you know if you put more torque on the key while cranking it will fire every time??! Your wife mustve known it!! haha
 
Haha , well , I think it might have been out of jealousy...........my wife isn't exactly " in love " with the boat ! She says my next project is going to be removing the roof of the house so that I can take it to bed with me , lol !
 
Back
Top