Logo

1975 Johnson 70HP, power to the motor but the starter will not crank

pablocruz69

New member
I bought this boat about a month ago, the guy started the motor for us and needless to say we bought it. Anyway I took it out on the lake last weekend and tried to start the motor and i got nothing when I turned the key, the choke works, the tilt and trim worked but no starter cranking. I got it home and checked voltage to the solenoid and to the solenoid it had power but after it had nothing. If i bypass the solenoid I can get it to crank (using a wire from power supply to the solenoid and then to the other side of solenoid) I can get the motor cranking and started. Could this be a solenoid issue or a gear position sensor (fwd and reverse)?? Not sure what to think or how to properly diagnose this issue. Thanks in advance for any help or guidance. BTW when I jumped the starter and got the motor running when the throttle was in the neutral position it seemed that the motor was in reverse, but not sure. How do I make sure that the motor is in neutral??
 
I actually checked the control and it will not go into reverse, not sure if that has something to do with it but I figure my problem lies in the control box. Could be wrong??
 
I tried to test the solenoid, but couldn't do it as I am alone and I have no alligator clips for my tester. However I did tear the control box apart so I could see why I couldn't put the control box into reverse. I actually solved two problems, I found that there was a lobe that pushes a switch inside the control box, that will allow you to start the motor. Once I was able to put the lever back on the track the switch got pushed in and I was able to move the lever freely, and start the motor.
 
Back
Top