Logo

1975 70hp - Low speed idle jet outer plug screw tightness?

Jeffress77

I need to know how tight the stainless outer screw/plug (Part # 0317476) needs to be against the idle speed brass orifice jet near the top of the carbs. For the 70-75 hp models these aren’t adjustable needle type jets, the tiny brass orifice fits tightly into the body of the carb, and then there is a washer and then finally these screw plugs.
The factory service manual is about half worthless when it comes to explaining anything at all about these parts. All three of these were not tight when I removed them. A mechanic told me they all “needed to be tight”. I am looking for some additional opinions here. I want to put them back correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Arrow pointing to screw/plug in question.

Attachments

• 31A847AE-8226-4A51-80C5-B8CD0355F6E2.jpg
    31A847AE-8226-4A51-80C5-B8CD0355F6E2.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 9
Your mechanic is correct.------They are NOT an adjustment.-----They must be snug / tight.------How did the motor run for you last season ?

Your mechanic is correct.------They are NOT an adjustment.-----They must be snug / tight.------How did the motor run for you last season ?

There are so many variables and I literally could write a novel about my quest with this engine… lol. But thanks for your response! This was what I needed to know!

Maybe you can get help / pointers here.----I could rebuild your motor top and bottom without a glance at a manual.------What is your motor doing / not doing ?-----What trouble shooting and simple testing has been done ??

Maybe you can get help / pointers here.----I could rebuild your motor top and bottom without a glance at a manual.------What is your motor doing / not doing ?-----What trouble shooting and simple testing has been done ??

I rebuilt it last spring. Worked fine until about 6-7 hours into the break in period. Then started having issues. A LOT has been done in the last two years.
we can talk outside of here if you’d be willing. Send me a message in here.

Back