Logo

1974 25 hp sea king, chrysler manufactured

blazzer66

New member
I bought i chysler wiring harness pre-wired on one end to the ignition and the other end i wired to the engine using the wiring schematic in the manual. There is no spark coming from the spark plug(starter kicks on andnit trys to start). When i was holding then coil withe the spark plug attached to watch for a spark there was none. When my thumb was accidentlly touching the metal on the plug i felt and saw the spark, but only when i was touching it. Something to do with grounding? All the wires that are supposed to be grounded on the outboard are. But on the wiring schematic the harness is wired to what looks like a ground block first, then to the ignition. I have it directly to the ignition, could this be it? I circled the part in the picture that I DO NOT have. Thanks alot, Mike Sketch121203548.jpg
 
I bought i chysler wiring harness pre-wired on one end to the ignition and the other end i wired to the engine using the wiring schematic in the manual. There is no spark coming from the spark plug(starter kicks on andnit trys to start). When i was holding then coil withe the spark plug attached to watch for a spark there was none. When my thumb was accidentlly touching the metal on the plug i felt and saw the spark, but only when i was touching it. Something to do with grounding? All the wires that are supposed to be grounded on the outboard are. But on the wiring schematic the harness is wired to what looks like a ground block first, then to the ignition. I have it directly to the ignition, could this be it? I circled the part in the picture that I DO NOT have. Thanks alot, Mike View attachment 7485
That missing terminal strip should have nothing to do with it. Now, you say you had a spark when you were touching the plug shell but not when not touching it. So I gotta ask, when you were checking for spark while not touching it, did you have the plug shell grounded? Should be, but it sounds like it wasn't. There would be no spark if the spark had nowhere to go (either you or ground). If you truly have no spark, 90% of no-spark problems are dirty, corroded, of mal-adjusted breaker points. Have you checked them? Clean them shiny bright and gap to .020". But before you do, check the voltage at the blue wires at the coils. Should have 12V when points are open. maybe a bit less when they are closed. Are you sure this is the correct wiring diagram? I assume it is, but as they say, never assume.
 
Thanks I realized my mistake while watching a youtube clip that the plug has to be grounded to see the spark. So I am getting a spark,I did just take the fly wheel of to check the breakers but If i have a spark then that means they are ok, or still check? (extreme amatuer here) I just picked up a meter so i will check the voltage. I guess I will check the fuel pump next. Thank you.
 
Back
Top