Logo

1973 65hp issue

Robert Stites

Hello Fellow boaters:

New to the forum and was just woundering if I could pick some other brains I have a 1973 Evinrude 65hp outboard that I'm having issues. when I put the motor in the water and startup it runs fine.But when I get out in open water and "punch it" it wants to fall on its face and will not come up out of the water and trim out. I have had the carbs rebuilt by a certified mech three times. the stator has been replaced, the coils have been replaced, and the fuel pump has also been replaced. Could the water pump cause this problem, and is there a procedure that I can use to check the pump.

Year: 1973
Horse Power: 65
Make: Evinrude
Model: 65r73

Thanks

No it is not the fault of the water pump !------Do a compression test first.-----Check for spark that will jump a gap of 7/16" on all 3 cylinders.-----------Check the outside of the crankcase for any small holes ( broken piston skirt ) which was very common on those motors.------Not sure why anyone would " rebuild " carburetors 3 times either.----Were reed valves inspected when carburetors were off??

No it is not the fault of the water pump !------Do a compression test first.-----Check for spark that will jump a gap of 7/16" on all 3 cylinders.-----------Check the outside of the crankcase for any small holes ( broken piston skirt ) which was very common on those motors.------Not sure why anyone would " rebuild " carburetors 3 times either.----Were reed valves inspected when carburetors were off??

Ok great on the water pump, as far as a compression test I have the service manual but it dosnt have the specs as far as compression criteria. dos anyone know the threshholds for a good compression, and as far as the reed valves I dought that they have been inspected. The ignition system has been completely rebuilt from the stator to the coils. I know the spark is good because I have the scar on the arm were it knocked me into the wall..lol..but the other stuff I was just assuming that it was ok because it was running.

Simple -report the compression test results.----Take this one step at a time.-------There are no published compression numbers because there are too many variables !!-----Does the spark in fact jump a gap of 7/16" on each cylinder ?------Also, if you do not know the age or condition of the waterpump impeller than it needs to be replaced.----That simple bit of work may save your motor from destruction.-----Have you tested the overheat horn to confirm that it is indeed in working order ?

Back