Logo

1971 Mercury 4 hp no spark

Blueghost

Picked up a nice 1970 or 71 4.0 with the Phase maker ignition with no spark. The young lad I bough it from said he replaced the coil.
The coil has no part numbers on it, its black, and the metal tab contacting the neg terminal to the center rod on the coil is twisted. He held it down with masking tape, but I dont think its making good contact.

Any way, the phase maker takes a special coil worth around $180USD. Can I go by color when sourcing a replacment? I see old posts seem to mention the coil color. Coil from 9.9 with phase maker also have the same part number. I have not yet had a chance to test the orange block as per CDI electronices web site , but the points look good, and the point pivot block looks good

Good used parts is an option....----Your location ?
Ontario Canada, so lots of used parts around. I need to know if this takes a special coil? I assume so, since a new one is $180. Can anyone advise me on what color(s) coil to look for? Any aftermarket options? Lasy resort would be to install a points ignition as I have a 3.9 I can use as a doner, but I dont want to go that route if I can avoid it.

Is this coil color information still valid? I am workimg with a black coil with 2K ohms across the +/- and 439 ohms from primary to neg

These engines require the Orange, Red or Green Ignition coils. The Black or Blue ignition coils use a common ground connection internally for the primary and the secondary side of the coils. This system requires that the primary and the secondary side of the coils be separate as the pack drives the negative side of the coil to ground, causing the coil to generate spark on the secondary side.

Back