Logo

1971 johnson waterpipe

phoenixe1123

Hey there,
I recently inherited a boat motor that I've been working on, Its a 1971 100hp johnson outboard. Once I got the engine running I found that one bank of cylinders was overheating after digging into the engine and dropping the lower unit I found what I think is the problem. It looks like the previous owner had an issue with the water pipe in the intermediate unit? in the picture below, it looks like the water pipe was sleeved with a steel or aluminum pipe, the pipes are not produced anymore but I was wondering if I could find one how would I go about replacing it? I have a Seloc manual but haven't been able to find any information on the removal or replacement of the water pipe. any information would be greatly appreciated.

waterpipepic1.jpeg

There are / were 2 plastic tubes that were used as guides.-----The only function is to guide the copper tubes into the water pump.-----Once assembled those tubes did nothing and often rode up the copper tubes.

Rather than starting a new thread i had a few questions about the cooling system on a 71 100hp johnson. I've been looking through parts catalogs trying to get a sense of how it operates but I cant seem to find a diagram like whats available for some of the other systems.
--There's a black box between the cylinder banks that im guessing houses the thermostat or is it located in the cyclinder head?
--Are parts still available for the cooling system on an engine this old?
-- Could a failed thermostat cause overheating in one bank?
--Does the cylinder head have to be removed to check water passages in the block/head or can it be checked by removing just the cylinder cover?

Back