Logo

1971 Johnson 60hp unclear on how to shift

Colezay

Regular Contributor
Hello, I have a 1971 Johnson 60hp model # 60ESL71C and I can’t find really any clear evidence on how to shift the engine or throttle up. It has the hydro electric drive.
DAC2531E-F757-47A0-85DA-AF611DC19CF8.jpegHere is what it looks like

When motor is not turning it will always be in forward gear.------It only shifts when motor is turning.-----When motor is turning the oil pump in gearcase develops oil pressure.----The solenoids direct the oil pressure to move clutch dog.------You raise the small lever to give motor some throttle for start-up.-----You push the button on the very top in order to move the main lever.----Moving that forward , shifts to forward and then applies throttle.-------Fact----Many folks are scared of these electric shift units.-----I consider them to be elegantly simple , very reliable !!

How would I test the overheat warning horn? Also where should the lever be for starting? And from what I can see the shifting is mixed in with the throttle so when I advance the throttle to either forward or reverse it speeds the engine up?

There is an electric switch that moves with the big lever.-----Applies 12 volts for the green wire for neutral.---And 12 volts to green and blue for reverse.----No voltage to shift for forward.-----Hurry and order an owners manual .----That will save you a lot of money and frustration !!

Find the safety switch ( white wire ) on the engine block it may need adjustment .----If throttle is advanced too much it will not crank.

What oil to gas ratio should I run? I do have very high quality oil not a quart of weedwacker two stroke oil from Home Depot lol.

Always use 50:1 ratio !!----Use 40:1 if you want the motor to last an extra 10 years or so.-----These ratio questions always get lively responses , simply because the concept of 2 stroke lubrication is not well understood.

I understand 2 stroke oils and lubrication. Nobody trusts me here, but honestly....I have operated 2 remote camps in NW Ontario, with my Dad since 1964. When Amsoil came out with it's 100:1 synthetic 2 stroke in the mid 70's, the owner/founder, Al Amatuzio....fellow Italian and good friend of our family, gave us a case of those little tiny bottles...marked for a 6 gallon can. My Dad says...."what??? Al, you want me to ruin all my motors". Al says, "If you ruin a motor, I'll buy you a brand new one". Dad says...."I don't want a brand new one....I want what I already have".......the rest is history. Never hurt a motor, saw, snowmobile...in all these years past.

I’ve never trusted those amsoil containers that say to run like 100:1 or half of what you normally run. I currently use Klotz SuperTechniplate. Works fine for my 2 stroke ATV! And I get that nice race bike smell lol

How would I test the overheat warning horn? Also where should the lever be for starting? And from what I can see the shifting is mixed in with the throttle so when I advance the throttle to either forward or reverse it speeds the engine up?

Have the key in the ON position... This supplies 12v to one terminal of the horn.

The other terminal of the horn, at the engine, is a TAN wire sticking out of the cylinder head... ground that TAN wire to the block.

If the wiring is correct and the horn okay, the above should have the horn sounding off in a test mode.

Back